Queenstown hasn’t quite caught onto the up and coming popularity of vegan food. Although I love this place, one of my biggest annoyances is finding a place where I can eat. Keep reading to see the places I recommend in and around Queenstown for the best vegan eats.
- Vudu – $7 – $20: Check out the display case for vegan sweets and salads. Check the menu for vegan breakfast options like porridge. It’s usually quite busy here and the queue can look intimidating but they are working hard so it usually a matter of waiting a few minutes before placing your order. They have a outside area at the lakefront which is very nice when the weather is good. You can find Vudu here.
- Bespoke Kitchen: Vegan pancakes with whipped coconut cream is my absolute favourite ($23). This is a rather large portion so I usually share it with my partner with a small salad from their cabinet. This place do cost a little bit more but it’s well worth it with this great selection of vegan food and non vegan food with great quality and great presentation. Also a great little outside area when it’s nice weather. In the spring and autumn they usually have the outside fire open, very cosy. You can find Bespoke here.
- The Chop Shop: In Arrowtown (15 minute drive from Queenstown), the Chop Shop doesn’t have anything vegan on the menu but they always whip me up something exciting and delicious. Their other meals are highly rated by my non vegan friends and some might describe it as a bit “upperty”. Price for a meal is usuaully around 20 NZD. You can find The Cop Shop here.
- Caribe: Ask for the vegan arepas or burritos to be made vegan. Vegeburito is about 12 NZD.
- 1876: Go on Friday or during happy hour for $10 (normally $20) falafel burgers. They aren’t already vegan but they can usually make substitutions. They also have cheap beers/ciders here and the sun usually comes out around 12 in the summer on their large patio.
- Graze: In Lake Hayes estate. A healthy option, Graze offers a vegan protein plate and veggie burgers.
- World Bar: The quinoa wrap is one option on the menu, mixed reviews. A vegan burger is also available, not my favourite but friends rate it.
- Devil Burger: The mushroom burger is good.
- Slow Cuts: Located 2o minutes from Queenstown in Arrowtown, Slow Cuts is still list-worthy for the healthy, rotating salads on the menu.
- The Bodhi Tree: Burmese food and by far my favourite restaurant in Queenstown! Tell the server you’re vegan and they can prepare any veggie dish without fish sauce. I recommend the fermented tea leave salad. They can also arrange pick up from down town Queenstown and have a big pool with saunas and hot tub as well. You can pick up $10 entrance coupons on https://www.bookme.co.nz/
- Toro: The vegetarian paella is already vegan as well as a bunch of sides.
- Tham Knack Thai: Ask for your veggie meal without fish sauce and you’re good to go.
- Hell’s Pizza: Hell’s Pizza offers vegan cheese. So much better than a cheese-less pizza!
- Patagonia: Try the carrot cake, churros with no chocolate sauce, dark chocolate, or sorbet 🙂
- Raeward Fresh: Hands down the healthiest grocery store in town. Reward offers some vegan lunch selections as well.
- Pack and Save: This budget option stocks organic tofu and meat substitutes for cheaper than you’ll find anywhere else in the area.
- Thai 2 Go: These guys do sell thai food, but they also have fresh organics from Omaru in their shop. Local produce with similar prices that you find for same products in the super market.
- Rawmazing: The best vegan substitutes in town. Place your order for nut or seed cheese, crackers, protein bars, or desserts a day before you plan to pick them up. The owner and producer usually has a little stand at the Sherwood Resort Wednesday market.
- Thai to-go: Thai to-go doesn’t use fish sauce in their veggie curries and offers a selection of organic vegetables.
- Sushi Box: Ask them to whip you up some inari or a veggie roll with no mayo.
- Ferg Burger: Both the tofu and falafel burger can be made vegan upon request.